Wednesday 22 February 2012

The Bowl of Confusion

I had real fun making this one, although it was a bit time consuming. Using two types of plywood, one a blond soft wood the other dark hard woods, this bowl has been constructed with each of the four layers alternating in style and orientation.

Layer One has been left in it's normal flat alignment as an impressive blond rim to the bowl.
Layer Two, a darker wood has been cut into strips, turned 90 degrees then re-laminated to create an 'edge on' effect.
Layer Three was achieved by cutting the ply into short blocks and re-laminating them back into a 'herring bone' pattern.
Layer Four had the plywood cut into strips then laminated back together with every other strip set on edge.



The picture below depicts well the overall effect with layer three being my personal favourite as the herring bone construction gives the illusion of the timber bending as it turns the corner of the bowl.





13" x 9" x 3.25"


Finished with four coats of linseed / tung oil mix this fruit / salad bowl is food safe and extremely heat resistant.


This item is for sale along with many other WeirdWood creations and can be found at:  http://weirdwood.mysupadupa.com/   

3 comments:

  1. It's a long time since you flipped through my radar. Looks like you have been busy creating beautiful things. This fruit bowl is lovely. I have now started my own business and am very busy. Have changed my name from Dharmaflyer to Little Bird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just had a look at your website, looking good, I wish you every success :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow…outstanding service and products to meet our office needs. I Love all and the colors you choose are perfect. I want this furniture for my new house. Thanks a lot for sharing
    Dressing Table In Chennai With Prices

    ReplyDelete